Monday, April 21, 2008

The Origins of Printing (Midwest)


Sit back people while I geek out for a minute or two...

My buddy, Gilbert sent me an IM today linking to a video series on YouTube. If you have an hour to kill, and you are a typography nerd or interested in history and appreciative of old technologies, watch Stephen Fry and the Gutenberg Press (six parts). It is nicely narrated and filmed, and you will learn all about Gutenberg, the first printing press (a letterpress - hoorah!) and the invention of movable type. I can't even imagine the time and tedium it took to print the first book, Gutenberg's Bible. As I sit here and type away on my keyboard I'm astounded by where printing came from and has gone. I mean, I'm writing to post on a blog. No paper, no actual type is being imprinted. And, these sentences can be read worldwide.

Whoa.

No comments: