Friday, August 24, 2007

Type (Midwest)


Aren't these pretty?

I recently purchased a batch of old wood type blocks on eBay in assorted fonts and sizes. It's a good mix of letters with most of the alphabet. I've been playing with them, rearranging them, stacking them, making words, etc. I'm thinking they will make a debut on a letterpressed greeting card. Or maybe a print? The big question is what to say? So far I've configured "What's Up?", "Hey" and "Hello" (and a few swear words, yes, I'm immature). As I play I find I only have one W. No X, Q or Z. This is not such a big deal. Toddler Sam (he refers to himself as such) has been helping with the rearranging part but isn't much help on the what to spell part. Any input?

Speaking of letterpress. I got some great press practice in this last week working on a "Save the Date" card for Joey's work buddy, Gilbert. He designed cards, sent them out for plates to be delivered to me, and I inked the heck out of them. I really like the calla lily illustration that Gilbert drew, see below. Gilbert, I hope your sistor likes the cards.


1 comment:

Queen Bee Amy said...

Love the type! I am jealous! So cool! I really like the way they look stacked together like that.