Friday, November 23, 2007

Craft Fair Affair (Midwest)


I'm finally getting around to posting about last Saturday's craft fair experience. I had a booth at the DIY Trunk Show in Chicago. It was a busy day. Lot's of traffic, many sales, interesting people to look at and chat with. And, and, and! the show got me a few wholesale orders. I was pretty overwhelmed most of the day. I have lots of retail experience to draw on, but this was more personal. And, presenting graphic designwork to clients is different because you already know what your client wants. I gleaned quite a bit of advice from my seasoned booth neighbors which was helpful. I even got to make one trip to the bathroom. From what I learned every venue is unique and I'm sure this weekend's event here in Madison will be a totally different experience.

Before I sign off here's a rundown of what I used to create my booth. My table display was put together on the fly at the show. The kraft paper table covering was from the Dollar Store and sat over the top of a Goodwill white sheet. I used wooden rulers with clothes pins as sign holders, and wood boxes from our basement to house my cards. Finally, I used a laundry drying rack (free from the curb courtesy of my hubby) as print rack. I think I spent around $10 on my booth.

Ta ta till next posting.

2 comments:

sue bulmer said...

Hi, just a quick note from another bee, sooziebee! Just found your website from another link, and your work is looking lovely!
Like you, I have just done my first fair this weekend, and even though I am pleasantly tired out and needing a break from sooziebee, I am already thinking of ideas for next year. Sounds like you had a good experience too, which I did on my first outing. It's great to meet other people and you never know who is soing to call by your booth. Well done, and glad you did well. Hope to call my again soon and see more of your lovely prints

TrueFliesBlogger said...

Looks great -- love how you used the rulers! Congrats and good luck at the next one!