Thursday, August 14, 2008

Say Cheese (Midwest)

Last Sunday Kate picked me up and we headed downtown to do a little photography shoot/walk. We sneaked into the Hilton and headed up to the top of the building. From there we discovered that the top floor party room was left unlocked and unattended! We had to enter. The room had a bar, a bookshelf with arty vases and vintage books, and an amazing view looking down onto Monona Terrace and the lake. My first thought was to mix myself a drink, but then I remembered the task at hand which was learning to take pictures.



I'm still in the initial stages of mastering my camera, so I mainly just try to take a picture that isn't blurry. I do consider the composition as I line things up, but it's pretty much an unplanned let's see what happens approach. Kate talked about where to stand to catch interesting light, and about background color and scenery. It was very interesting. Lots to consider as I continue practicing.

After we exhausted our Hilton photo opportunities we strolled outside and shot flowers. The evening sun was low in the sky and seemed to get tangled in the petals and grasses. Very pretty.



The evening was perfect for strolling, chatting and taking pictures. It was such a nice little outing. I'm glad to have a friend who shares her creativity and skills with me.

Finally, I'd like to send a thanks out to Diana of Pravina studio. Diana creates simple and modern bags and accessories. She also maintains the blog, Heartland, which highlights her discoveries in the Midwest. I met her this summer at the Craftacular and she sent me a note several days later asking if I wouldn't mind being featured on her blog. Hello!?!?? Of course I wouldn't mind. Here is the post. Thanks again Diana. I'll see you at Renegade!

1 comment:

Queen Bee Laurie said...

Nice images Miss Amy! Looks like you are really getting the ins and outs of your new camera!