Monday, February 11, 2008

Scooby Doo (Midwest)


A conversation before school this morning involving Joey and Hannah (father and daughter)...

Joey - "...so Hannah, which character is your favorite then?"
Hannah - "Velma."
Joey - "Gafaw, ha, ha, ha!" "Now, wait. Let's discuss this. Let's see. Daphne, well I hate to say it, but she's just eye candy. I mean, she's really useless as a crime fighter. Fred, he's pretty good. He drives the Mystery Van, so he's got to be important. Shaggy and Scooby. Psshhhh. Give me a break. And, don't even get me started on Scrappy Doo. That show seriously jumped the shark with that one."
Hannah - "I still like Velma".

I'm in the kitchen at this point defrosting bagels. It always surprises me when there is something from my childhood that my kids are into, too. I hated Scooby Doo, but my brothers liked it. I found it intensely, annoyingly obvious that the ghost, who later turned out to be someone in a mask, looked and sounded like a ghost, but then at the end of the show, looked more like a fake. C'MON! And, Shaggy and Scooby did nothing but muck up and create danger for the other characters. Hannah is right, Velma was the only voice of reason on that show for sure.

No comments: